Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its not going to be bad for him
MINNEAPOLIS -- Felix Hernandez stopped another slide for Seattle on Sunday. Jaire Alexander Super Bowl Jersey . Hernandez pitched eight strong innings and Robinson Cano had four hits and the Mariners defeated the Minnesota Twins 6-2. The Mariners were winless since King Felixs previous start, but Hernandez (5-1) helped snap their four-game skid by giving up two runs and seven hits while striking out five and walking one. "Its always a confidence builder coming to the park when we know hes pitching. Typically we know that we dont have to put up too many runs to come out with a W," Mariners right fielder Michael Saunders said. Hernandez has been especially tough on the Twins in recent years. In his past four starts against Minnesota, he has pitched 34 innings and allowed three earned runs with 30 strikeouts. "Its the same old story -- really good stuff," Twins left fielder Jason Kubel said of facing Hernandez. "Hes just tough, one of the toughest guys to hit." The Twins, who have won three straight series and six of nine overall, jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third inning on a rally keyed by a successful replay challenge. With a man on first and nobody out, shortstop Danny Santana hit a dribbler to first baseman Justin Smoak, who flipped the ball to Hernandez covering at first. Santana was ruled out on the play, but replays showed that his foot hit the bag just before the pitcher arrived. Hernandez almost got out of the jam, striking out Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer on two-strike sliders, but Trevor Plouffe scored both runners with a two-out single to right-centre to put Minnesota on top 2-0. "I made one mistake," Hernandez said of his performance on Sunday. "I left that slider a little bit up against Plouffe and he got that hit. It was off the plate, but he put a good swing on it. "I was a little (angry). I did not put a zero on the scoreboard. After that I made better pitches." Meanwhile, after Twins starter Ricky Nolasco (2-4) breezed through the first three innings, the Mariners rallied by going deep in the count and making Nolasco work the second time through the order. They got one run back on Kyle Seagers RBI single in the fourth, but they also drove up Nolascos pitch count by making him throw 33 pitches that inning. Nolascos ability to avoid trouble ran out in the fifth. James Jones led off with an infield single, then scored on Michael Saunders triple to right field. Cano followed with a shot off the centre field wall for an RBI double that gave Seattle a 3-2 lead. By the end of the inning, Nolasco had thrown 100 pitches and was done for the day. And Hernandez had all the runs he needed to snap that losing streak. "With that guy over there, you have to play perfect baseball," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We didnt do that. We gave them a few too many chances, and when you give them chances like that, thats what happens." Saunders added a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning, Justin Smoak had an RBI double in the seventh and Cano scored on a wild pitch in the ninth as the Mariners pulled away. Mariners closer Fernando Rodney worked a scoreless ninth in a non-save situation to cap what Seattle manager Lloyd McClendon called an "ideal" day. "Our starter went eight and we got our closer some much-needed work," McClendon said. "It was perfect." Notes: McClendon said that the team will decide later this week whether 1B/OF Logan Morrison is ready to begin a minor-league rehab assignment. Morrison has missed five weeks with a strained right hamstring. ... Seattle DH Corey Hart left the game in the fourth inning after straining his left hamstring while stealing second base. ... Canos single in the fourth extended his on-base streak to 26 games, the longest in the major leagues this year. ... The Twins will send RHP Kevin Correia (1-5, 6.80) to the mound when they open a two-game series at San Diego on Tuesday. ... The Mariners also have a day off Monday. They will travel to Texas for a two-game set against the Rangers, with RHP Hisashi Iwakuma (2-0, 1.59) starting on Tuesday. Raven Greene Super Bowl Jersey . After Mariota was pushed around by Stanford on Thursday, finishing 20/34 with 250 yards and two touchdowns in Oregons Title hope-crushing defeat, hes going to need a poor performance or two from the remaining frontrunners to have a shot at the most coveted individual trophy in college sports. Oren Burks Super Bowl Jersey . After overcoming a three-goal deficit the Senators forced the game to overtime only to watch it slip away as Seth Jones scored the winner 3:49 into the extra period as the Nashville Predators defeated the Senators 4-3 Monday night. http://www.packersonlineteamstore.com/cl...ersey.html . After a first half in which he thought "the lid was on the basket," the Toronto Raptors coach watched his squad mount a second half surge to defeat the Cleveland Cavaliers 98-91.CHICAGO - When Adam LaRoche was a kid, he used to hang with his father at old Comiskey Park when Dave was a coach with the Chicago White Sox.Now LaRoche gets to play for one of his dads old teams.The White Sox are bringing LaRoche back to Chicago to serve as their primary designated hitter, announcing a $25 million, two-year contract with the veteran slugger on Tuesday.Manager Robin Ventura, assistant hitting coach Harold Baines, bullpen coach Bobby Thigpen and first base coach Daryl Boston all played for the White Sox during Dave LaRoches coaching stint with the team from 1989-91.Ive honestly always been a White Sox fan, and I dont just say that, LaRoche said. I was at the age then where I was starting to understand the game and figure it out, and happened to be in a White Sox uniform quite a bit around that old stadium and always really enjoyed being there and being around those guys.LaRoche, who turned 35 on Nov. 6, gives the White Sox some sorely needed power from the left side. The first baseman hit .259 with 26 homers and 92 RBIs in 140 games this year for NL East champion Washington. He has 243 homers and 838 RBIs in 11 years in the majors.LaRoche won a Gold Glove in 2012, but he is likely to spend most of his time at DH. Chicago has AL Rookie of the Year Jose Abreu at first, and the Cuban slugger hit .317 with 36 homers and 107 RBIs in 145 games this season.LaRoche said he never imagined signing anywhere to be even a part-time DDH, but he talked to Ventura about his plans and thinks everything is going to work out. Dean Lowry Super Bowl Jersey. Im looking forward to hopefully being in the middle of the lineup and having a chance to drive some runs in, LaRoche said.Ventura guessed LaRoche would make two starts per week at first, and he said he thought the situation would help Abreu as well.Its not going to be bad for him to have a few days off in there and I think thats the same for both of them, Ventura said. I dont want to take first base away from Adam either.LaRoche has spent almost his entire career in the NL, save for six games for Boston in 2009. The transition to regular DH duties is a tricky one, but Ventura said he thinks LaRoches experience will help.Adams signing addresses several important needs for our club heading into the 2015 season, general manager Rick Hahn said in a release. He provides a proven left-handed bat in the middle of our lineup, brings a valuable mix of the ability to get on base and power, and he is a veteran leader on the field and in the clubhouse.He gets $12 million next year and $13 million in 2016. He would earn $100,000 for winning an MVP award, $100,000 for World Series MVP, $75,000 for League Championship Series MVP, $25,000 for Gold Glove and $15,000 for Silver Slugger. La Roche also would get $25,000 if hes an All-Star starter and $15,000 if hes a reserve, and $50,000 if hes on The Sporting News post-season all-star team. ' ' '