Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Davis was averaging career highs
MONTREAL - Marco Di Vaio had a feeling when he arrived at Saputo Stadium that something good was going to happen. Taysom Hill Jersey .And it did, as the 38-year-old striker had two goals to give the Montreal Impact a 2-2 draw with the New England Revolution on Saturday.Di Vaio, whose retirement at the end of the Major League Soccer season is only two weeks away, clearly wants to go out with a bang.Its amazing because the last two or three games, I felt something like when I was younger, Di Vaio said after scoring his seventh and eighth of the season.Lee Nguyen scored in the 69th minute to give New England the point it needed to clinch a playoff spot for a second year in a row. Kelyn Rowe also scored for New England, which is 7-1-1 in its last nine matches.A recent Impact ad blitz urges fans to see Di Vaio in the last home games of his stellar career. The Italian did not disappoint, even if only 14,389 turned out to the 20,000-seat stadium .The Impact play next week at Toronto, then Di Vaio will close his career at home on Oct. 25 against D.C. United. The club hopes to have a full house for the send off for the player who joined in May 2012 as its first designated player.I told him wed sign him for three more years, coach Frank Klopas joked. That second goal, I thought I was seeing Marco from 20 years ago.We talked about finishing strong and trying to get some wins at home for Marco. Its disappointing we didnt get it. We had chances and didnt score and we let them hang in there.Di Vaios goals illustrated what Montreal will be losing when he leaves.On the first, midfielder Calum Mallace made an alert play to loft a pass over the defence. Di Vaio collected the ball and went in alone to score in the 12th minute.After Kelyn Rowe tied in the 16th, Di Vaio pulled off his master stroke in the 40th, freezing New England captain Jose Goncalves with a head fake and slotting Andres Romeros diagonal pass in off the left post from just inside the penalty area.Im happy because my body is following my mind right now, said Di Vaio. Im always motivated.When I have a chance to step on the field, I want to score. Its my job. Im happy for me, but less for the team because we could have won. We deserved to win. We played better and had more chances than them. But its a tough year for us. Every time we give up a strange goal and it stops us from winning.The strange goal came from New Englands most dangerous forward Nguyen, who chipped a shot that went high off Mallace and dropped behind goalkeeper Evan Bush for his 15th of the season.It came after Justin Mapp wasted two chances to give the Impact a two-goal lead. First Mapp was stopped on a clear breakaway by Bobby Shuttleworth, then Dilly Duka got him the ball again only to see the shot sail over the bar.Overall, it was a good performance, but its tough, said Mallace. It feels like a loss, especially on a goal like that, which took a deflection off me.Di Vaio opted to retire to be with his family, who stayed behind in Italy. He is expected to return to his former club Bologna in some non-playing capacity.The Rome native has given the Impact full value, including a 20-goal campaign in 2013.Its the end of his time and it sums up his career with two amazing goals, added Mallace. Its been an honour to play with him.Di Vaios final season has been rough for the Impact, who got off to a disastrous start and didnt stat to find themselves until August, when it was too late to avoiding missing the MLS playoffs. They salvaged something by reaching the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals.We cant go back in time, said Klopas. But weve learned and got better.Its great how were playing now but it will be a long off-season.Late in the first half, New England defender A.J. Soares hammered a shot over the bar so hard that it broke a seat in the east end stands.Notes: Canadian Geoff Gamble was slated to referee, but pulled out with an injury suffered in a friendly match. He was replaced by Armando Villareal. . . The Impact were without fullback Eric Miller, who is with the U.S. U-18 team, and Canadian team selects Issey Nakajima-Farran, Karl Ouimette and Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare. . . Former Alouettes quarterback Anthony Calvillo, who is to have his jersey retired on Monday, got a standing ovation and a No. 13 Impact shirt in a pre-game introduction. . . Jay Heaps coached his 100th MLS game, all with New England. Joe Federspiel Jersey . In the Brewers six games this season, no starter has allowed more than three runs. "We see the guy in front of us do a great job and we want to do even better," Gallardo said after the Brewers beat the Red Sox 4-0 on Sunday, his second straight scoreless start. New Orleans Saints Store . Rinne had surgery on his left hip May 9 and recovered in time to start the season. He then had arthroscopic surgery on Oct. 24 because of a bacterial infection in his hip. https://www.saintsjerseyssale.com/1253f-...aints.html . TSN was honoured with several awards, with Rod Smith and James Duthie sharing the win for Best Sports Host for SportsCentre and the NHL: Season On The Brink coverage, respectively.ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magics rebuilding process will continue without Glen Davis. General manager Rob Hennigan announced Friday that the team has bought out the 28-year-old forwards contract, which will make him a free agent once he clears waivers. The roster now stands at 12 players. Terms werent released but Davis, who was averaging 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 45 games this season, is making just over $6 million this season and is due to make about $6.6 million next season. "As we continue to chart what we believe is the best course of action for our organization, maximizing the development of our young players remains of critical importance," Hennigan said in statement. "This agreement allows us an opportunity to do just that." Davis name was mentioned as a possible movable asset for the Magic for Thursdays trade deadline, but the team ended the day without making any moves. The buyout ends his three-season run with the Magic which began in lockout-shortened 2011-12 season after he was dealt from the Boston Celtics in a sign-and-trade. With Davis gone, it will likely mean more playing time at power forward for Tobias Harris, as well as for second-year forwards Andrew Nicholson and Kyle OQuinn. Both Nicholson and OQuinn had seen their minutes diminished after Davis returned from injury. Davis had also played centre at times in relief of Nik Vucevic, but those duties will likely now shift to OQuinn. Magic coach Jacque Vaughn acknowledged that the departure of a starter would require adjustments in the rotation, but cautioned that the lineup they played with against New York could change in coming games. "Well see where we go from here. Who starts tonight, Im not saying it will be our lineup for the rest of the year. But Tobias will start and well go from there," Vaughn said. Deonte Harris Jersey. With Harris in the lineup, swingman Arron Afflalo said it was also possible it could mean he will see more time at small forward, with Jameer Nelson and Victor Oladipo starting at the guard spots. "I suppose you might see a little diet of me, Vic and Jameer," Afflalo said. "So theres probably a chance I will be at the three some. But I don t know how well finish, or start for that matter." Known by the nickname "Big Baby," Davis was averaging career highs in points and rebounds last season before a left shoulder injury and broken foot limited him to just 34 games. He returned from those injuries after missing the first 11 games this season and started 43 of the 45 games he appeared in. But it was clear from the start of the season that it was unlikely that Davis fit into the Magics long-range rebuilding efforts. While Davis had some high points in Magic uniform, his time with the team also featured a handful of negative moments. He had a disagreement with former coach Stan Van Gundy during a practice back in 2012 that concluded with him damaging a locker room wall. The team also fined him earlier this season when he was caught on tape doing minor damage to a hotel lobby following a disagreement with a clerk. Those incidents aside, Nelson said he has happy memories of Davis tenure. "My time here with Glen has been great," Nelson said. "Hes a great teammate and despite what other people think of him, I think hes a great guy and I just wish him the best of luck. "Im not sure what it means for our team in terms of roles, or anything like that. But he did bring a toughness and was definitely a big part of our defence in terms of being a defensive presence and being there for guys. Somebody has to step up and fill that role." ' ' '