Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was Bayerns attack vs
TORONTO – As quickly as Brett Lawrie returned to the Blue Jays lineup, he was lost to the ballclub once again. Fake Timberwolves Jerseys . Lawrie, who returned in time for Tuesday nights important series opener against the Orioles after missing six weeks and 36 games with a fractured right index finger, was lifted from the game after three innings with lower back tightness. The move, the Blue Jays announced in-game, was precautionary. "We dont think its serious," said manager John Gibbons. "He said it felt it tightened up on him a little bit during (batting practice) and then in the game he felt it. Day-to-day." "It was kind of just grabbing at me as I was warming up and going about my day. Something was just grabbing at me a little bit," said Lawrie. "The more I kind of went about my business and what I was trying to do it was like, theres something in there thats bothering me and I better take care of this before it gets serious." Lawrie, who singled on a groundball down the first base line in his only at-bat, will have an MRI on Wednesday. He has a history of core body injuries, specifically his oblique, but he hasnt suffered back injuries. "Thats basically it because it could be a number of different things," said Lawrie. "We basically figured that well go in there and well really see what it is instead of playing the guessing game. You can have a number of people telling you whats going on and whats wrong but until you really get to the bottom of things and you really check things out, thats when youll know." In the meantime, working off the assumption Lawrie wont require another trip to the disabled list, Gibbons would be left with a three-man bench for as long as Lawrie is unavailable. Lawrie was activated from his finger-related stint on the disabled list prior to Tuesdays game and the corresponding roster move was made easy when Steve Tolleson was placed on the paternity list. Tolleson and his wife welcomed a daughter on Tuesday. The paternity list allows for Tolleson to be gone for three days, which means the club will have to adjust the roster again by no later than Friday. Again, working off the assumption Lawrie will not need another trip to the disabled list, there are three prime candidates to be sent to Buffalo when Tolleson is activated. They are Ryan Goins, Munenori Kawasaki and Chad Jenkins. Eliminate Jenkins because the Jays wont whittle down to a six-man bullpen. That leaves the two left-handed hitting infielders from which to choose. It says here the player who should be optioned is Kawasaki. Goins is the better defender and, frankly, has made better contact more consistently since his recall from Triple-A Buffalo on July 22. The Jays will eventually have further decisions to make when Adam Lind, who could begin a minor league rehabilitation assignment in a matter of days and Edwin Encarnacion, whos still a while from being ready, make their returns. Remember that rosters expand on September 1, meaning any player on a teams 40-man roster is eligible to join the big league club for the remainder of the regular season. Whoever is sent down will be recalled no later than that date. Deadline Silence A brief message from manager John Gibbons last Thursday in Houston is the extent to which Blue Jays players have heard anything from anyone in the organization about the inactivity at the trade deadline. "I talked to our guys in our advance, just something brief but I said Hey, weve got a good ballclub. Lets run with it," said manager John Gibbons. "Remember, when new guys come in, it means someone in this room goes. Everyone wants to be part of it." General manager Alex Anthopoulos, whos cut his travel with the big league club considerably this season, surprised some players with his decision not to fly to Houston and address the team. As of Tuesday afternoon, the first time the team had gathered in the home clubhouse in 12 days, nothing had been said to the group by Anthopoulos or anyone higher in the Blue Jays front office. Malik Sealy Jersey . The Detroit Tigers star had microfracture surgery Friday to repair the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee. "I dont want to say it was a surprise," team president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said. Karl-Anthony Towns Jersey . The Nuggets leading scorer, Lawson is characterized as day to day by the team. Hes averaging 17.9 points and 8.9 assists. Lawson suffered the injury late in Denvers win Sunday at Sacramento. https://www.cheaptimberwolves.com/290j-f...olves.html . His absence against the Celtics comes a day after he scored 43 points in the Heats 100-96 win at Cleveland.MANCHESTER, England -- Manchester United confounded grim pre-game predictions by drawing 1-1 with Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal on Tuesday, with Bastian Schweinsteiger equalizing for the holders before being sent off. Floundering in the English Premier League, United has delivered better performances in Europe this season and stunned Bayern by taking the lead against the run of play through Nemanja Vidics header in the 58th minute. Bayern had dominated possession but struggled to create a clear-cut chance before Schweinsteiger arrowed a half-volley high into the net in the 67th to give the German side a slight advantage ahead of the second leg in Munich next week. "We score away, so its good," Bayern coach Pep Guardiola said. "Im happy with the result." Schweinsteiger blotted his performance by picking up a second yellow card in the 90th minute for a foul on Wayne Rooney and will miss the return match along with fellow midfielder Javi Martinez, who will also be suspended for an accumulation of bookings. Guardiola warned that talk of Uniteds demise was premature -- and the man who turned Barcelona into the best team in the world from 2008-12 has proved to be a good judge of football over the past few years. The English champions are languishing in seventh place in the Premier League amid a disastrous first year under new manager David Moyes, but they have an envious European pedigree and didnt buckle under constant pressure from Bayern. Defending stoutly -- with Vidic and right back Phil Jones particularly impressive -- United had 174 passes in the game compared to Bayerns 701 but actually created the better of the chances. Danny Welbeck will rue the moment he was sent clean through in the 40th, capitalizing on Jerome Boatengs defensive mistake, but fluffed a chip into the goalkeepers arms rather than going for a truer strike. Bayern played the prettier football, as expected, but United goalkeeper David de Gea barely had a shot to save before or after Schweinsteigers sweetly struck effort from Mario Mandzukics nod-down. "Tonights performance was more than youd hope for," Moyes said. "Hopefully tonight shows we will go there and go toe to toe with them. "Our best football has been in this competition and we will need to show our best footballl next week. Terrell Brandon Jersey. " The nights other quarterfinal first leg also finished 1-1, with Barcelona coming from a goal down to draw at home to Atletico Madrid. With Bayern having become Europes new powerhouse over the past two years and United without its main striker in Robin van Persie, many predicted the home-and-away series would be a blow-out. In the end, Bayern was somewhat fortunate to be leaving Manchester with its record of scoring in every match this season intact. Uniteds ambition was limited -- it had to be, given it hardly saw the ball -- but the teams desire and work rate couldnt be faulted. Moyes fielded a patched-up defence with Patrice Evra suspended and Rafael da Silva a late withdrawal but he got his tactics largely spot on, although United has probably never been dominated in possession at Old Trafford as much as it was in the first half. It was Bayerns attack vs. Uniteds defence, and Uniteds defence will feel it won the battle. "It is not easy when the opponent sets up so deep and closes down space," Munich winger Arjen Robben said. "After they took the lead, we should be happy to take a 1-1 home." There were times when the home fans fell deathly silent, perhaps mesmerized, as Bayerns bubbly midfield splayed the ball around in long periods of possession. But Moyes side kept its shape well, with Vidic delivering his best performance of an otherwise shaky season. He popped up at the other end to score Uniteds goal, too, the Serbian given the freedom of the penalty box to flick a header into the bottom corner from Rooneys left-wing corner. The lead didnt last long, though, as Rafinha sped by Robben on the overlap and crossed deep for substitute Mario Mandzukic, who headed the ball down for Schweinsteiger to sweep a half-volley into the top corner. The midfielder had already been booked for a foul on Michael Carrick when he brought down Rooney with seconds left of normal time. He protested, wagging his finger at Rooney and claiming the striker dived, but Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo had already brandished the yellow card. "I think coming into the tie most people had Bayern had the favourites," Moyes said, "and rightly so -- they are the European champions. But this club is used to big European nights and tonight they showed it." ' ' '