Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
His head snapped back from the impact
SANDY, Utah -- Circle Sept. Rod Strickland Jersey . 27 on the calendar, for its Round 3 of what has become Major League Soccers newest rivalry. Thats the date Real Salt Lake visits BC Place, and its the night the Vancouver Whitecaps will surely look forward to after Saturdays 1-1 draw in the teams second memorable matchup this season. A questionable foul led to a Darren Mattocks goal for Vancouver and set off a 30-minute flurry that saw both teams go nose-to-nose and force action from end-to-end. "Real Salt Lake might be a new rival of ours," Vancouver coach Carl Robinson said with a smile. "Weve got a small team, but theyre willing to fight for the jersey and the camaraderie and the spirit theyve got is fantastic." In the teams first meeting Apr. 26, Vancouver erased a 2-0 deficit with two goals in the final eight minutes to stun the MLS Cup runner-up. Saturday, tempers were hotter than the hot desert air. A hard tackle on Mattocks by RSLs Nat Borchers led to a penalty kick and the games first goal in the 73rd minute. It was Mattocks second penalty kick goal of the Whitecaps road trip and his third goal this season. "Thats up to the referee to make the decision whether to give the PK or not," said Mattocks. "Its my job to help the team win games." A scrum broke out at midfield after the goal, and resulted in yellow cards for Sebastian Fernandez and Matias Laba. Goalkeeper David Ousted drew a yellow card moments later after he argued for a more severe penalty on RSL defender Tony Beltran after a hard foul on Fernandez. "Its a tough place to play," said Ousted, who recorded three saves. "They are a good team, and we need to be smart about it. I think we got under their skin a bit and it creates drama. "We showed well stick up for each other. Thats the way its supposed to be for a team. Normally, I like when we can get away from the fights and not get into them, but well stick up for each other." The lead was short-lived, though, and this time it was the home team with some late magic to draw even. Joao Plata sprinted past Steven Beitashour toward the left corner, then fired low to the far post, out of Ousteds reach in the 81st minute. It was Salt Lakes first open goal (non-set piece) in more than 400 minutes. "We couldnt let them dictate too much of the game," said Ousted. "I thought we did really well. If we had been a little bit luckier, we might have gotten away with three points, but we werent. 1-1 is probably a fair result." The teams exchanged chances into stoppage time, with Salt Lake twice nearly pulling out the victory. Luke Mulhollands bicycle kick sailed over the crossbar in the 83rd minute, and Ousted collided with a rushing Robbie Findlay in stoppage time to thwart a fast-break chance. Vancouver earned a point for the fifth time in its past six road matches. Real Salt Lake fell to 1-4-2 after starting the season unbeaten in its first 12 matches. Robinson mixed up his starting lineup to get fresh legs in against an attacking RSL front, and for a team playing its second road game in four days. Omar Salgado and Medhi Ballouchy earned their first starts of the season and Erik Hurtado and Russell Teibert earned some well-deserved rest. The Whitecaps now have a full week off before hosting FC Dallas on July 27. Rudy Fernandez Jersey .  Nikolaos Kounenakis has been hired as an assistant coach, the team announced on Monday. Jack Ramsay Jersey . The striker headed Spurs into a 35th-minute lead and tapped in their third in the 71st after Chico Flores own goal. Wilfried Bony hit the bar and had a good penalty appeal for a push by Tottenham captain Michael Dawson turned down in the first half, before getting Swanseas consolation late on. https://www.cheapblazersonline.com/1098i...azers.html . His head snapped back from the impact and hit the floor. The All-Star power forward was all right afterward, a relief for the Minnesota Timberwolves.SUN PEAKS, B.C. - Steve Smith of Nanaimo, B.C., and Vaea Verbeek of North Vancouver, B.C., won the mens and womens titles at the 2014 Canadian mountain bike downhill championships on Sunday. Smith, the overwhelming favorite to win the race, finished in three minutes, 26.73 seconds -- less than two seconds faster than Kyle Sangers of Kingston, Ont. Remi Gauvin of Nanoose Bay, B.C., placed third. "It was a lot for me this year, especially coming back from injury in the spring and going straight to racing the World Cup," Smith said. "This was a great race forr me to come and just go fast, putting some good time on the bike. Jerome Kersey Jersey. The track was great." Verbeek took the womens race in 3:56.00. Casey Brown of Revelstoke, B.C., was second while Jaime Hill of Pemberton, B.C., finished third. Verbeek was competing in just her second event since lacerating her liver two months ago. "I did not have many expectations as to my performance coming back from injury just last week, and I think thats what helped me this weekend," she said. "I just wanted to ride, and go as fast as possible." ' ' '